Monday, May 24, 2010

Church Performance

On Sunday afternoon, May 23, I performed (what I entitled an interactive recital) at Martha's Chapel in Apex, North Carolina. Originally, Kristen (a talented young harpist) and I were planning to perform harp duets. This was to be our first of two harp duo concerts. Unfortunately, Kristen was unable to perform. Her older brother, Ryan was in a serious car accident on Saturday afternoon. Kristen of course was greatly missed Sunday afternoon, but Pastor Bob Brinson at Martha's Chapel has invited us back to perform a harp duo concert in the Fall. I will be sure to let everyone know the date and time we select.

Due to the limited time I had to change the recital program from harp duets to harp solos, I thought that having an interactive harp recital would be a fun way to engage and entertain the audience by performing pieces and/or songs that were familiar and/or special to them. The interactive recital involved recital attendees selecting 10 pieces and/or songs from a list of 20 pieces and/or songs to be performed during the recital. The recital attendees enthusiastically accepted this task and created a wonderful harp program with a variety of musical selections, ranging from classical to popular to religious. I performed Ave Maria by Bach/Gounod, Canon in D by Pachelbel, How Sweet It Is (To be Loved by You) by Holland/Doizer/Holland, Over the Rainbow by Arlen/Harburg, Ribbon in the Sky by Stevie Wonder, What a Wonderful World by Weiss/Thiele, You Raise Me Up by Lovland/Graham, Precious Lord, Take My Hand by Dorsey, When Peace, Like a River by Bliss, and Amazing Grace.

I was absolutely delighted to be able to perform for the wonderful audience at Martha's Chapel on Sunday, which included members of the congregation and local community that came to hear the performance. Thank you Pastor Bob for inviting me to perform and I look forward to performing again at Martha's Chapel in the Fall with Kristen!



No comments: